The Street, Great Barton, Bury St. Edmunds
- **Click the 'Video Tour' tab for area profile & view and/or download our detailed brochure**
- Converted four bedroom, former forge cottage with 17th century roots, sensitively & beautifully restored to its former glory
- Impressive, elegant living spaces maintain a wealth of period details, beams & fireplaces
- Fabulous modern rear kitchen extension with island, useful utility room & cloakroom
- Luxurious walk-in shower en-suites (one ground floor) & sumptuous family bathroom
- Low maintenance, fully enclosed rear garden for al fresco dining & front lawn area
- Convenient centre village location, highly accessible by A143 to RAF Lakenheath & close to historic Bury St. Edmunds
- Extensive private parking via residents’ gravel driveway
- Fitted with stylish lighting & privacy blinds throughout
- *Good news: pet-friendly landlord*
RENOVATED FORMER FORGE COTTAGE WITH MODERN EXTENSION, EXTENSIVE PRIVATE PARKING, FRONT & REAR GARDENS
Positioned within an exclusive gated development by renowned local period homes specialist builders – Mothersoles – Forge Cottage is exemplar of a sympathetically restored Estate Cottage with its history dating back to the 17th century. Originally the workshops for the Bunbury Family’s Barton Hall and Estates, the beautifully converted four bedroom home once housed the blacksmith, wheelwright and possibly carpenter and coach builder. Since its sale in the 1900s, it remained in the same family for over 100 years until its recent acquisition and extensive renovation by the current landlord. Preservation of an historic relic was as important as creating the ideal modern family home. Behind its ‘chocolate-box cottage’ frontage with its façade faced in attractive black knapped flint and white brick dressings is a stunning modern two storey extension. The original timber-frame of the building has been perfectly restored and a pared back approach to the overall design has been taken to showcase the many period features married with many modern amenities such as underfloor heating throughout the ground floor. Of particular note is the impressive reception hall with inglenook fireplace, exposed ceiling timbers and studwork, inner hall with bespoke oak framed and glazed segmental staircase forming a galleried landing, capacious triple aspect kitchen/breakfast room with island, elegant sitting room with cleverly conceived adjoining snug/study, exquisitely appointed bathroom and walk-in shower rooms to include a large ground floor suite and vaulted principal bedroom.
Approached through a shared gated entrance along a gravel driveway with the asset of extensive private parking to the rear. Fully enclosed to give a good degree of privacy, the gardens are low-maintenance landscaped with lawns, planting and terraced areas
Forge Cottage is conveniently situated in the centre of the well-served village of Great Barton, highly accessible via the A143, and located three miles north east of the vibrant Cathedral town of Bury St Edmunds. The University City of Cambridge is easily reached via the A14 east-west major road link, which is accessed at Bury St. Edmunds, and with the M11 providing a fast route to London.
Forge Cottage has been converted with architectural flair to create a high specification airy living space while retaining period charm. The relaxed accommodation measures approximately 2763 sq ft (256.7 sq m) and will suit a broad range of tenants, whether a temporary family home for those recently sold or professionals and our visiting USAF – all who seek convenient country living.
Reception Hall - An elegant part glazed panelled entrance door with stylish outdoor light opens into an impressive reception hall with large lead tripartite window to front aspect. The focal point is a substantial feature inglenook fireplace of exposed red brick, raised heath and oak bressumer. The wealth of exposed ceiling timber joists and studwork are to be marvelled and the space could double up as a pleasant dining room setting. The former staircase passage has been converted into a storage with a cupboard housing water cylinder. Open-plan to an inner hall with striking bespoke oak and glazed segmental staircase rising to First Floor. Three stylish wall lights and three round pin sockets to provide a custom accent lighting solution. Stone floors with underfloor heating. Doors to living room, family room/ground floor bedroom, kitchen/breakfast room and utility room.
Sitting Room - A light and elegant dual aspect sitting room painted in a soothing heritage sage green with large lead tripartite window to front aspect. The space maintains a wall of period timber oak studwork detailing on a brick plinth, lime washed and exposed as a focal point. Feature fireplace with wood mantel and brick hearth. TV point. Recessed lighting and two round pin sockets for custom lighting. Stone floors with underfloor heating. Opening to:
Study / Snug - Thoughtfully carved out of the living room space is the snug or useful study niche. Two attractive windows to side aspect. CAT 5 port and phone point. The stone floor theme with underfloor heating continues.
OPEN-PLAN KITCHEN / BREAKFAST ROOM - From the reception hall, oak and segmental glazed double doors open to up to reveal a fabulous open-plan kitchen/breakfast room that forms part of the modern rear extension. The space is awash with natural light from its triple aspect and expanse of floor to ceiling fenestration with two sets of French doors leading to a lovely outdoor dining terrace. The meticulously designed kitchen space revolves around a central island. Extensively fitted with handcrafted wall and base units in white beneath Corian worktops with a one and a half bowl sink inset with mixer tap, and task lighting above and equipped with USB charge points. Intelligent pull out corner storage systems, deep pan drawers and glazed display cabinet. There are many high-quality integrated appliances including full height fridge/freezer, dishwasher, dual oven & grill – all by Siemens. The island creates a useful preparation area with further storage beneath and incorporates a five ring Siemens induction hob, a breakfast bar to one end, further USB charge points and stylish pendant lighting above combined with multi-zone recessed lighting. TV point. Stone floor with underfloor heating.
Utility - From the reception hall is a useful utility with window to rear aspect and part glazed external door to pathway leading to the private parking beyond. Wall length counter top with stainless steel sink and mixer tap inset and storage cupboard below with space and plumbing either side for washing machine and condenser dryer. Water softener. Extractor fan. Stone floor with underfloor heating. Door to:
Cloakroom - With window to rear garden aspect. Low-level wc. Wall-mounted basin with mixer tap and marble splashback. Wall-mounted boiler. Extractor fan. Stone floor with underfloor heating.
Bedroom Two - From the reception hall is a family room / ground floor bedroom with window to front aspect and further exposed limewashed ceiling and studwork timbers. Door to storage deep storage space housing the underfloor heating manifold. Three feature wall lights, reading lamp points and TV point. Radiator.
En-Suite Shower Room - A luxuriously appointed shower room in a large vaulted space with skylight that accentuates its lofty appeal. Fitted with a designer suite, tastefully tiled in white ‘Carrara’ marble porcelain tiles, comprising substantial walk-in shower with detachable shower head and fixed glazed screen, low level dual flush wc, wall-mounted basin with Grohe mixer tap and vanity cabinet below. Shaver point. Extractor fan. Full height heated towel rail. Recessed ceiling lights. Stone floor with underfloor heating.
Landing - A large split level, galleried landing space cleverly designed around the glazed staircase and vaulted with two skylights. Exposed timber frame. Two feature wall lights. Thermostat. Recessed lighting. Radiator. Doors to:
Bedroom One - A most spacious and impressive principal bedroom with vaulted ceiling. Beautifully light and airy with two dormer windows to side aspect. Two useful storage recesses. Beside reading lamp points with four USB charge points. TV and CAT 5 ports. Mix of recessed lighting and pendant lights. Two radiators.
En-Suite Shower Room - Luxuriously appointed shower room with window to rear garden aspect. Fitted with a designer suite, tastefully tiled in white ‘Carrara’ marble porcelain tiles, comprising walk-in shower with Grohe shower attachment, low level dual flush wc, wall-mounted basin with Grohe mixer tap. Shaver point. Extractor fan. Mirror. Heated towel rail. Recessed ceiling lights. Kardean oak effect floor.
Bedroom Three - With dormer window to front aspect. Bedside reading lamp points. Recessed lighting. Radiator.
Bedroom Four - A playful space that flows around the former chimney breast with dormer window to front aspect. Two stylish wall lights and recessed lighting. Period door to storage cupboard. Radiator.
Bathroom - Sumptuous family bathroom with dormer window to front aspect. A delightful focal point is a period feature iron fireplace. Wainscot tastefully tiled in white ‘Carrara’ marble porcelain tiles. Suite comprising panelled bath with Grohe mixer tap, low level wc and wall-mounted basin with Grohe mixer tap. Full height heated towel rail. Recessed lighting. Kardean oak effect floor.
Gated entrance leads to the exclusive Old Forge development along a gravel driveway to the extensive private parking asset through a pair of brick piers. Lawn to the front with pathway to front entrance door. To the rear is a fully enclosed garden, part closeboarded fencing and part decorative iron railing and gate to parking, with raised lawn area and a series of Indian Sandstone terraces – planted and landscaped for low maintenance. Water spigot and outdoor lighting.
Forge Cottage and the adjoining Forge once served the Bunbury Family Estate at Barton Hall (pictured above), which met its demise in 1919 due to a fire. The blacksmiths workshop would have serviced the carriage horses housed at the Estate’s stables and fulfilled farming requirements. Sir Henry Edward Bunbury, 7th Baronet (4 March 1778 – 13 April 1860) was responsible for much of the building on the estate, including cottages in The Street and the almshouses situated to the south. He also built the local pub The Bunbury Arms in 1844. A British Soldier and historian he rose to the rank of Lieutenant-General having served in the army from 1785 to 1809 and later Under-Secretary of State for War and the Colonies from 1809 to 1816. In 1815, he was responsible for informing Napoleon of his sentence of Deportation to St Helena. His military memoirs ‘Narratives of Some Passages in the Great War with France’ were first published in 1854 and provide fascinating insight into the Napoleonic Wars.
Sir Henry’s uncle, Sir Charles owned and trained the first 1790 Epsom Derby winning horse at Barton Hall. The renowned Epsom Derby would have been called the Epsom Bunbury if Sir Charles Bunbury had not lost the toss of a coin to name the race to Earl Derby. Given the family’s racing patronage, many a winning horse shoe could have been forged here!
In 2019, renowned local period homes specialist – Mothersole Builders – began extensive renovation works to sensitively transform the Forge and associated buildings into an exclusive residential development.
The property is vacant and available to rent now.
Mains water, drainage, electricity. Gas-fired central heating with underfloor heating.
AGENT’S NOTE: none of these services have been tested.
St. Edmundsbury District Council
Tax band – TBC.
Strictly by prior appointment through the landlord’s sole letting agent: Whatley Lane Estate Agents (WLEA). If there is anything of particular importance, please contact us to discuss, especially before embarking upon your journey to view the property.
DIRECTIONS (IP31 2NP):
From London/Cambridge/Newmarket/Bury St. Edmunds (by car) exit the M11 at Junction 9 and take the A11 towards Newmarket. Continue on the A14 towards Bury St. Edmunds. Exit the A14 at Junction 43, signposted 'Bury St. Edmunds Central'. Take the A134 towards Diss, proceeding in a north easterly direction. Upon arrival in the centre of the village of Great Barton and prior to reaching the Esso filling station, the gated entrance to the exclusive development can be found on the left hand side.